Would you consider yourself someone who regularly practices self-care? If you're someone with a busy, stressful, and strenuous life, the answer is probably no. Likely, you have a ton of projects waiting for you at the office; that's attached to a never-ending list of things to do that seems to never get shorter despite how hard you try. Your schedule is so occupied that you barely have time to eat at the appropriate time, you have little or no time for exercise and you’ve totally abandoned your social life. Let's not forget the constant lack of sleep. If that sounds like you, you likely have put off self-care. The truth is, most of us ignore our health due to the business of our day-to-day.
We know how important self-care is for you to stay healthy and that's why SHAYDE Beauty has decided to compile some useful need-to-know information on self-care to enlighten you on how you can care for your health.
What Does “Self-Care” Mean?
Self-care involves engaging oneself in daily activities that will improve your physical, emotional and mental wellbeing. These activities can be simple tricks to attain a healthy lifestyle and sometimes are small things that seem so simple that you can easily forget about incorporating them into your daily life. Utilizing self-care is a vital key to alleviate anxiety, improve your mood, and give you positive energy. Additionally, self-care is an important tool for maintaining positive relationships and vital for your physical, mental, and emotional well-being.
How to Engage in Self-Care
- Nutrition: Ensure you consume a nutritious and healthy diet at the appropriate time daily. Meal prepping can be your best friend for this.
- Exercise: Incorporate exercise into your weekly routine. Even if you only have time for 30 minutes twice a week, whether light jogging or yoga, can significantly help your mood.
- Consume enough water daily: This is surely one of the easiest ways you can live a balanced lifestyle. Drinking the right water intake can improve everything from your health to your skin. There are even water bottles that remind you to when to take a sip.
- Scheduling: Create a healthy schedule that will leave you with enough time to engage yourself with activities that improve your physical, emotional and mental wellbeing.
- Work/Life Balance: Spend quality time on things that make you happy. Spend an ample time with your family and friends.
- Dealing with Stress: Learn how to engage yourself with good emotional and mental hygiene; practicing a good emotional hygiene means knowing how to deal with stress, depression, and sadness. A good mental hygiene will build your self-confidence and make you emotionally sound.
- Sleep: Ensure you sleep for a minimum of 8 hours daily. Yes, this may sound impossible, but if you try to block out a window in your schedule and gain even just a few extra minutes a day, it can really help you overall.
Benefits of Self-Care
- Self-care creates room for maximum concentration on things that are productive for daily sustainability.
- Self-care practices help to enhance your parasympathetic nervous system (PNS) which improves the immune system and can help to relieve the body of stress.
- Self-care improves our self-confidence and self-esteem.
- It improves self-discovery; creating healthy to-do-lists will open your insight to know more about yourself; what you like doing and what you don’t.
Engaging in a good self-care habit requires constant practice, but is important to engage in activities that will improve your health. We at SHAYDE Beauty believe that self-care is vital for your health and hope that these tips and tricks could help you to develop your own self-care habits for your own lifestyle.